Friday, January 27, 2023

Education as We Know it is Over



During my time on this earth, I have witnessed some watershed moments in educational technology. One of those moments was when I first discovered a computer. I was in high school. This computer ran from reel-to-reel magnetic tape. There was a lunar landing program, and every time you wanted to play the game and land the lunar vehicle, you had to reload the tape. This became very annoying. I remember only playing the game a few times. This was my first exposure to computers. Eventually, this computer evolved to take cassette tapes.

 

When I was a kid, my dad bought us an odyssey game console. He bought us this because he felt it was more educational than Atari. Of course, I felt left out. All my friends had Ataris. 


For my first master's degree at Boise State University, my whole Internet connection was through dial-up. It was a degree in educational technology, and it was entirely online. I have never been to Boise, Idaho.

 

I remember when Alexa first came out. I know Principals and Teachers who wanted to put Alexa in their classrooms so that Teachers would have an auditory connection with the outside world. My argument was that the classroom should be “controlled chaos” and be the type of environment where Alexa does not work very well. Plus, there are all kinds of security concerns with devices that are always listening. 


Another watershed moment was when Twitter was first invented. It was now possible to have instant communication with someone around the world about any topic you wanted to. It was limited to 140 characters at first. This was before hashtags were even invented.  


Another watershed moment was when the education world found out about ChatGPT. With the creation of ChatGPT the idea of artificial intelligence and machine learning became available on a website. The idea of AI (Artificial Intelligence) and ML (Machine Learning) became less abstract to those of us in the education world. We knew previously that artificial intelligence and machine learning were important, but we did not have a tangible way of seeing how AI and machine learning could affect our craft. Now we do.

 

When students have access to these things, the teacher is no longer the smartest thing in the room. If you know how to ask the right questions, information is even closer than our fingertips. 


Is this really a watershed moment? Or just a natural outcome of progress in educational technology or just technology in general? Are we preparing students to work in AI and ML? How should teachers change what they are doing knowing that an AI and ML future exists? 

You get out of education what you put into it. There will always be students who cheat. And we know eventually they are only cheating themselves. And that is the way we should treat ChatGPT. Blocking ChatGPT is not the answer. Below is a teacher who is using ChatGPT in her classroom.



@gibsonishere It has begun! #tiktokteachers #chatgpt #aitok #tyfdtgw #teachertiktok #educator #aibotok #technology ♬ original sound - Gibson is the name!

No comments: